Recipe by Kozmic Blues
This is a great meatless substitute for the seasoned ground beef you find in many Mexican recipes. I find I've been making this recipe WITH the addition of black beans more and more. I use this over nachos, or as a filling for tacos, burritos, or enchiladas. Because of the wonderful spices in the mixture, I find that alot of my favorite "meat-eaters" really don't miss the ground beef at all!! ; >
- 2 tablespoons instant minced onion
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional) or 1⁄4 teaspoon red chili powder, to taste (optional)
- 1 cup water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (12 ounce) package vegetarian ground beef (I like Boca or Litelife Gimme Lean)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add meatless ground burger, water and spices.
- Mix well and let simmer for 10-15 minutes until heated through and water is absorbed.
- Add black beans and simmer another 5 minutes.
- Use this mixture to replace the seasoned ground beef in any of your favorite Mexican recipes!
- Another note* One can use 1 cup of TVP in place of the soy crumbles or Boca. You might need a bit more that 1 cup of water to keep mixture from getting too dry.