Recipe by VegSocialWorker
From the PCRM website, from Eat Right, Live Longer by Neal D. Barnard, M.D.; recipe by Jennifer Raymond. The note says to serve over noodles with a side salad. I have to say that I have no idea what Swiss Steak is or how it tastes, but this was yummy. It's also low fat, healthy and vegan. Pretty easy to make as well.
- 1 large onion
- 1⁄2 cup white wine or 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic (about 8 large cloves)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄4 cup light miso, dissolved in 1/2 cup water
- 1 (28 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 16 ounces seitan, cut into thick slices
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cut the onion in half, then into thin slices. Heat the wine or water in a large skillet or pot and braise the onion until it is soft, about 5 minutes. Add the sliced mushrooms, bell peppers, garlic, and basil. Continue cooking over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes, then stir in the dissolved miso, tomatoes, and pepper. Simmer 5 minutes.
- Spread 1/2 cup of sauce evenly in the bottom of a large casserole dish. Arrange the seitan slices in the dish, then cover with the rest of the sauce. Cover the dish and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.