1/1 Photo of Vegetarian Sweet and Sour Cabbage Soup
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Modified from the NY Times by ofallytasty.com, who adapted it from The National. I put my spin on it by using vegetable broth, and adjusting some of the measurements. If you have smoked salt, by all means sprinkle some over the soup when you serve it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup peeled thinly sliced carrot
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes in puree
- 1 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup tomato ketchup
- 1/4-1/2 cup dark brown sugar (to taste or can omit)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 3 lbs cabbage, sliced into 1/4-inch-wide ribbons
- 1/2 cup golden raisin
- sour cream (can use vegan) or Greek yogurt (can use vegan)
- 1Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat; add garlic and cook until soft.
- 2Add the onion and sauté until transluscent.
- 3Add 3 c vegetable broth, carrots, tomatoes and purée, tomato paste, ketchup, sugar and the bay leaf.
- 4Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- 5Crush the whole tomatoes and continue to simmer until carrots are tender (10 more minutes).
- 6Discard bay leaf and, using an immersion blender, blend until slightly chunky (this step is not necessary, texture is good).
- 7Add lemon juice and cabbage and remaining 3 cups vegetable broth (there will be a LOT of cabbage, but it will cook down).
- 8Again, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until the cabbage is done however you like it (1 hour for al dente,2 hours for soft, or anywhere in between).
- 9Add 3-6 cups water, until the soup reaches your desired consistency.
- 10Add the raisins 10 minutes before serving.
- 11Season with salt and pepper.
- 12Serve with sour cream.
Browse Our Top Greens Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Sweet and Sour Cabbage Soup
Serving Size: 1 (290 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 188.4
- Calories from Fat 35
- Total Fat 3.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 471.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
- Sugars 26.9 g
- Protein 4.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
plum tomatoes in puree