Recipe by Sharon123
Modified from the NY Times by ofallytasty.com, who adapted it from The National. I put my spin on it by using vegetable broth, and adjusting some of the measurements. If you have smoked salt, by all means sprinkle some over the soup when you serve it.
Top Review by DailyInspiration
If you love cabbage, you'll love this soup. Loved the sweet and sour flavor and the addition of the golden raisins. If you want a more substantial meal, you could add some steamed brown rice to your bowl and ladle the soup over it -- don't forget the dollop of sour cream on top. : ). Either way, this soup is really delicious. Made for PRMR, January, 2014.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup peeled thinly sliced carrot
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes in puree
- 1 cup tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup tomato ketchup
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar (to taste or can omit)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 3 lbs cabbage, sliced into 1/4-inch-wide ribbons
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- sour cream (can use vegan) or Greek yogurt (can use vegan)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat; add garlic and cook until soft.
- Add the onion and sauté until transluscent.
- Add 3 c vegetable broth, carrots, tomatoes and purée, tomato paste, ketchup, sugar and the bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Crush the whole tomatoes and continue to simmer until carrots are tender (10 more minutes).
- Discard bay leaf and, using an immersion blender, blend until slightly chunky (this step is not necessary, texture is good).
- Add lemon juice and cabbage and remaining 3 cups vegetable broth (there will be a LOT of cabbage, but it will cook down).
- Again, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until the cabbage is done however you like it (1 hour for al dente,2 hours for soft, or anywhere in between).
- Add 3-6 cups water, until the soup reaches your desired consistency.
- Add the raisins 10 minutes before serving.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with sour cream.