The 2005 World Tour is next headed to Scandinavia. Posting this for my vegetarian teammates. Don't want to see them go hungry this week. :-)
- 3 slices bread, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons onions, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3⁄4 cup skim milk or 3⁄4 cup soymilk
- 2 (12 ounce) packages soy crumbles
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (if you are using soymilk or skim milk add another tablespoon)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup soymilk or 1 cup skim milk or 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
- plus 1 tablespoon powdered milk (with skim only)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- In a large bowl combine bread crumbs, onion, pepper, nutmeg. and burger-style crumbles until well blended. Add all but 2 tablespoons of milk and test if your "meat" will form a ball. If needed, because the mixture is too dry, add the additional milk. Form into 1 1/2 inch balls.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the 'meat' balls in oil. Remove with a slotted spoon and place in a 2 quart casserole dish.
- Whisk flour into drippings in skillet; cook until bubbly, stirring constantly. Stir in broth and half-and-half/soy milk/skim milk and continue cooking, stirring, until sauce thickens and boils, about 1 minute. Pour over 'meat' balls .
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.