1/1 Photo of Vegetarian Swedish Meatballs
1 hr 15 mins
The 2005 World Tour is next headed to Scandinavia. Posting this for my vegetarian teammates. Don't want to see them go hungry this week. :-)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 slices bread, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup skim milk or 3/4 cup soymilk
- 2 (12 ounce) packages soy crumbles
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (if you are using soymilk or skim milk add another tablespoon)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup soymilk or 1 cup skim milk or 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
- plus 1 tablespoon powdered milk (with skim only)
- 1Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- 2In a large bowl combine bread crumbs, onion, pepper, nutmeg. and burger-style crumbles until well blended. Add all but 2 tablespoons of milk and test if your "meat" will form a ball. If needed, because the mixture is too dry, add the additional milk. Form into 1 1/2 inch balls.
- 3In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the 'meat' balls in oil. Remove with a slotted spoon and place in a 2 quart casserole dish.
- 4Whisk flour into drippings in skillet; cook until bubbly, stirring constantly. Stir in broth and half-and-half/soy milk/skim milk and continue cooking, stirring, until sauce thickens and boils, about 1 minute. Pour over 'meat' balls .
- 5Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Soy/Tofu Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Swedish Meatballs
Serving Size: 1 (156 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 201.2
- Calories from Fat 64
- Total Fat 7.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.4 mg
- Sodium 440.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 18.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: