Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a great way to transform leftover risotto! Supplì is an Italian dish consisting of a ball of rice (generally in the form of risotto) and meat with tomato sauce bound together with eggs around a piece of mozzarella; the whole device is surrounded by breadcrumbs and then fried. This is a vegetarian version without the sauce. Adapted from Williams and Sonoma Collection: Risotto cookbook.
- In a small bowl, mix the porcini mushrooms and hot water. Let stand until the mushrooms soften, about 30 minutes. Drain the mushrooms, reserving the soaking liquid. Chop the mushrooms and place in a small saucepan over medium high heat. Add the soaking liquid . To make the suppli, line a baking sheet with wax paper. Place the bread crumbs in a shallow dish. Drop 1 tbls. of of the risotto mixture on the bread crumbs. Place 1 cheese strip and 1 teaspoons of the porcini mixture in the center of the risotto mound. Top with 1 tbls. of the risotto mixture.
- Using your hands, gently form the risotto, cheese and porcini into a cylinder. Roll in the bread crumbs to coat. Move to the baking sheet. Repeat to make 12 suppli.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 250*F.
- In a large saucepan, add oil to a depth of 2 inches. Heat to 350*F. Working in batches, fry the suppli, turning occsionally, until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Move to a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven while cooking the remaining suppli.
- To serve, transfer to individual plates. Enjoy!