Recipe by Sharon123
In Japan, this dish is cooked right at the table. You can do the same with an electric skillet or wok. Serve it with individual bowls of rice.
Top Review by Bergy
This is the second time I have cooked the dish and the second time I have rated it. The first time The rating has not shown up, So this second time.......... I did cook it at the table in an electric wok. It looked so attractive with all the ingredients lined up on the table in order of putting them in the wok. I also had all Japanese dishes for our table setting so it made a very handsome setting. I did add garlic and boosted the ginger to 1 1/2 tsp ginger but otherwise followed the recipe. For those of us not Vegetarian I had a large bowl of oriental style spicey chicken wings and of course lots steaming rice.. Dinner was enjoyed by all and they say Thank-you to Chef Sharon with your 123
- 29.58 ml canola oil or 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 453.59 g firm tofu, cut into 1/3 inch slices
- 946.36 ml whole white button mushrooms
- 1 butternut squash or 1 other winter squash, peeled and cut into 1/3 inch slices
- 2 zucchini, cut into thick slices
- 236.59 ml soy sauce
- 118.29 ml honey
- 59.14 ml mirin or 59.14 ml dry sherry
- 118.29-236.59 ml water
- 1419.54 ml coarsely chopped mustard, green or 1419.54 ml kale or 1419.54 ml collard greens
- 4 bunch scallions, cut into 3 inch lengths (green and white parts)
- 946.36 ml mung bean sprouts
- 4.92 ml grated fresh gingerroot
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or wok over medium high heat and cook the tofu slices on both sides, stirring, until well browned, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Slide the tofu to one side of the pan and add the mushrooms, cooking until browned.
- Push the mushrooms to the side; add the squash and zucchini.
- Combine the soy sauce with honey, mirin or sherry, and 1/2 cup water; pour over the vegetables, and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer until the squash is tender, about 5 minutes.
- In separate piles, add as many of the greens, scallions and bean sprouts as will fit.
- Cook until tender, about 5 minutes more.
- Stir in the ginger and cook another minute, adding more water (up to the remaining 1/2 cup) as necessary.
- To serve: let each diner use chopsticks to remove the tofu and vegetables from the skillet.
- Add more vegetables as the skillet empties.