In Japan, this dish is cooked right at the table. You can do the same with an electric skillet or wok. Serve it with individual bowls of rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons canola oil or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb firm tofu, cut into 1/3 inch slices
- 4 cups whole white button mushrooms
- 1/2 butternut squash or 1/2 other winter squash, peeled and cut into 1/3 inch slices
- 2 zucchini, cut into thick slices
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup mirin or 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 1/2-1 cup water
- 6 cups coarsely chopped mustard, green or 6 cups kale or 6 cups collard greens
- 4 bunches scallions, cut into 3 inch lengths (green and white parts)
- 4 cups mung bean sprouts
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh gingerroot
- 1Heat the oil in a large skillet or wok over medium high heat and cook the tofu slices on both sides, stirring, until well browned, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- 2Slide the tofu to one side of the pan and add the mushrooms, cooking until browned.
- 3Push the mushrooms to the side; add the squash and zucchini.
- 4Combine the soy sauce with honey, mirin or sherry, and 1/2 cup water; pour over the vegetables, and bring to a boil.
- 5Lower the heat and simmer until the squash is tender, about 5 minutes.
- 6In separate piles, add as many of the greens, scallions and bean sprouts as will fit.
- 7Cook until tender, about 5 minutes more.
- 8Stir in the ginger and cook another minute, adding more water (up to the remaining 1/2 cup) as necessary.
- 9To serve: let each diner use chopsticks to remove the tofu and vegetables from the skillet.
- 10Add more vegetables as the skillet empties.
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Sukiyaki
Serving Size: 1 (1247 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 752.2
- Calories from Fat 221
- Total Fat 24.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 8382.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 112.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 24.8 g
- Sugars 62.0 g
- Protein 43.1 g