This is a yummy light, "Veggieful" meal that is a great alternative to the usual beef-stuffed zucchini. I like to serve this with rice, as I like the blend of flavors and textures. But really, all that you need is a nice green salad, some crusty french bread, and a nice bottle of wine. Mmmmmm!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 medium zucchini
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large green pepper, diced
- 1 -2 clove garlic, minced (or 3 or 4)
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/3 cups Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 (28 ounce) jar of your favorite tomato-based pasta sauce
- garlic powder
- 1/3 cup Burgundy wine
- 8 ounces swiss cheese or 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- 2Cut zucchini in halves, lenghtwise and scoop out seeds, leaving a 1-inch shell intact.
- 3Steam (or boil) zucchini shells 3-4 minutes.
- 4Saute onion, greeen pepper, and garlic in butter.
- 5Add spinach; stir to combine and coat well.
- 6Cool, then add mushrooms, eggs, bread crumbs, and seasonings to taste; add wine.
- 7Place zucchini in baking dish and fill with stuffing mix.
- 8Cover with sauce, and sprinkle with cheese.
- 9Bake for 20-25 minutes, until cheese is bubbly.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Stuffed Zucchini
Serving Size: 1 (505 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 445.4
- Calories from Fat 222
- Total Fat 24.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.2 g
- Cholesterol 79.1 mg
- Sodium 1143.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 15.7 g
- Protein 18.6 g