Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This makes a really festive sidedish or appetizer. I make this all the time for my mother who is on weight watchers because there is only a point per 2 pieces.
- 10 -12 large zucchini
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen spinach, thawed and wrung out
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 3 cups water
- salt and pepper
- Cut each zucchini in half.
- Hollow each zucchini using a melon baller or a knife.
- Saute onion, garlic, and zucchini pulp in oil until tender 5-7 minutes.
- Add sauce, water, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Combine rice and spinach and stuff mixture into zucchini (do not overstuff because rice will expand as it cooks).
- Lay zucchini in pan and pour sauce over top.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.
Loved the dish! It came out great the first time I tried it, and it needs very little improvement to become a centerpiece vegetarian dish.