1/2 Photos of Vegetarian Stuffed Poblanos
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 10 mins
Poblano peppers stuffed with black beans, cheese and cornmeal, from Martha Stewart Everyday Food, April 2008. I've mostly just stolen this recipe from marthastewart.com, but added a few tips. If the poblanos are a little flattish, be sure to slice the peppers so that they they form a deep "pocket" to stuff. Be sure to use a reasonably good cheese. If you can't find good quality pepper jack, use plain Monterey Jack or cojack cheese and be sure to include the minced pepper. Cook time includes cooling time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 793.78 g can whole tomatoes in puree
- 1 jalapeno chile, minced (ribs and seeds removed, for less heat) (optional)
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves (2 whole, 1 minced)
- salt and pepper
- 538.64 g can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 118.29 ml yellow cornmeal
- 236.59 ml shredded monterey jack pepper cheese
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 4 large poblano chiles, halved lengthwise, seeded
- crushed tortilla chips (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 425. In a blender, combine tomatoes in puree, jalapeno, half the onions, and 2 whole garlic cloves; puree. Season with salt. Pour sauce into a 9-by-13-inch baking dish; set aside.
- 2In a medium bowl, combine beans, cornmeal, 1/2 cup cheese, remaining onions, minced garlic, cumin, and 3/4 cup water; season with salt and pepper.
- 3Dividing evenly, stuff poblano halves with bean mixture; place on top of sauce in baking dish. Sprinkle poblanos with remaining 1/2 cup cheese; cover baking dish tightly with aluminum foil.
- 4Bake until poblanos are tender, about 45 minutes. Uncover, and continue to cook until sauce is thickened slightly and cheese is browned, 10 to 15 minutes more. Let cool 10 minutes.
- 5Plate the stuffed poblanos, sprinkle with crushed tortilla chips and top with sauce.
Browse Our Top Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Stuffed Poblanos
Serving Size: 1 (425 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 326.2
- Calories from Fat 88
- Total Fat 9.8 g
- Saturated Fat 5.6 g
- Cholesterol 25.1 mg
- Sodium 163.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.9 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 18.2 g