Recipe by PSU Lioness
I found this in a book called "The Higher Taste." It's meatless, but not vegan. Very tasty though... And it looks like a lot of work, but I broke down the instructions pretty well. It's actually pretty easy to make.
- 2 eggplants (cut in half lengthwise)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 zucchini (chopped in 1/4-inch cubes)
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 1⁄2 cups oil (for frying) or 1 1⁄2 cups ghee (for frying)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder or 1⁄4 teaspoon hing
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon oregano flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, heat 1 cup oil.
- Cut eggplants lengthwise in equal halves.
- Place all four halves of eggplants face down in hot oil. Adjust to low heat and cook eggplants for about 10 minutes on each side or until very tender (it's ready when you can push a knife point through easily.) Set aside.
- In 1 quart saucepan add 1/4 cup of oil. When heated add 1 teaspoons black pepper, garlic powder, and lemon juice.
- Quickly add tomato puree, 1/2 cup water, 1 teaspoons salt and basil leaves.
- Cook on medium heat for 1/2 hour, stirring often.
- In small skillet add last 1/4 cup of oil. When hot add 1/2 teaspoons black pepper.
- Quickly add chopped zucchini and 1/2 teaspoons salt; fry at high heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add bread crumbs and lower heat; cook for 2 more minutes.
- Return to skillet containing cooked eggplant. Divide zucchini stuffing in four parts; put evenly on top of eggplants, and cover w/ tomato sauce and grated cheese.
- Cover and put on a low flame until cheese i s melted. Garnish w/ parsley and oregano. Serve hot.