I first tasted this at a friend's house several years ago. She was kind enough to give me the recipe, although I have to admit it was a gunpoint, this is one of her specialties. You can omit the cheese for a vegan dish.
- 2 small eggplants
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 small zucchini, cubed
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 cups cooked kidney beans
- 8 ounces muenster cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Wash the eggplant well--do not peel.
- Cut each eggplant in half lengthwise.
- Scoop out centers, leaving a 1-inch shell.
- Dice eggplant pulp and reserve.
- Fill a large skillet with ½ inch of water and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Place the eggplant shells in the water, skin side up, and bring to a boil over a high flame.
- Lower the flame, cover and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Drain the shells and put them on a baking sheet, skin side down.
- Heat oil in a large skillet and sauté the onion, green pepper, zucchini, garlic and the reserved eggplant until tender.
- Add tomato paste, sugar, seasonings, and the cooked kidney beans.
- Simmer uncovered 10 minutes longer.
- Fill shells with vegetable mixture and top with grated cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
Wonderful! Delicious! Wonderful! Wonderful! YUM!!! I made this for dinner tonight. Did everything as directed ecxept I added 1/4 cup of water when the mixture was simmering because it was very dry. I halved the recipe and didn't use muenster cheese because I am on a diet. I can't imagine how delicious that would be! I did add a teaspoon of grated parmesan to the mix, and a light sprinkle of grated swiss cheese on top. If I had known about this recipe back when I was a vegetarian, I would have turned into an eggplant! :) Thank you for posting such a delicious recipe Mirjam!
To get rid of the bitter, soak the whole egg plant in salty, room temperature water for 30 minutes before you start cooking.
This was great. I omitted the tomato paste (bc I didn't have any) and the sugar and the cheese bc I'm vegan. And I substituted the beans with brown rice. Also I added baby bella mushrooms and substituted summer squash for the zucchini. By simmering the eggplant shells in the water with salt, it gave it a perfect light salty taste! Very yummy and super easy!