1/5 Photos of Vegetarian Stuffed Cabbage (Ww)
My ds loved this and even packed the leftovers in tupperware so his girlfriend could have some! Never asked about the "meat"! If following WW this is only 5 WW pts for 2 cabbage rolls. When I made this I miscalculated the time, so I put in the fridge and the next day added 1 can tomatoes w/green chilies and some leftover WW cheese and cooked for 30 minutes or so. Although delicious this is a time consuming recipe -- the original recipe says 2 1/ 2 hours but I took 3 hours to make this plus the another 1/2 hour to reheat the next day --- so be prepared! Recipe source: WW Healthy Cooking Basics
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 3 cups water
- 1 head savory cabbage, leaves seperated (original recipe says to use 8 leaves ( but I used the whole head of cabbage)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced (original recipe says to use cremini mushrooms but I used ordinary white mushrooms)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons parsley
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomatoes and green chilies (optional)
- 1 cup low -fat shredded cheese (optional)
- 1Combine barley and water in saucepan and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 30 minutes. Drain.
- 2Meanwhile bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add cabbage leaves and return to a boil, cooking for 8-10 minutes. Drain. Rinse under cold running water. Drain. Transfer to cutting board and cut off thick ribs from the base of the cabbage leaves -- on some of the leaves I skipped this step.
- 3Preheat oven to 350-degrees F. Spray 9 x 13 pan with Pam.
- 4In a skillet heat oil and add mushrooms and onion, cook stirring for 5-8 minutes or until softened. Stir in soy sauce and cook for another 3-5 minutes. Stir in barley and parsley. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- 5Put mixture in a food processor and pulse until chopped -- you will probably have to work in batches.
- 6Place 1/2 cup of the marinara sauce in bottom of baking dish.
- 7Place 1/3 cup of filling in each cabbage leaf and fold in sides of leaf over filling and roll up.
- 8Place rolls seam side down in baking dish.
- 9In a large measuring cup or bowl stir together remaining marinara sauce (1 1/2 cups), water and vinegar. Pour over cabbage rolls.
- 10Cover and bake for 1 1/2 hours.
- 11What I did because of didn't estimate the time right is I refrigerated the pan covered and the next day added 1 can of tomatoes and some leftover WW cheese (not sure of the amount) -- cooked at 350 for 30 minutes or so.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Stuffed Cabbage (Ww)
Serving Size: 1 (556 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 390.3
- Calories from Fat 60
- Total Fat 6.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 2.5 mg
- Sodium 668.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.9 g
- Sugars 21.3 g
- Protein 12.4 g