Recipe by Ntune2food
Since I have been a vegetarian, I have tried to re-create my old favorite meat dishes with vegetarian substitutes.
- 5 -7 large bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 5 -7 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3 -5 ounces white wine
- 1 lb vegetarian ground beef
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chipotle chiles in adobo, pureed
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash the bell peppers and remove their tops, and seed them.
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil, add bell peppers in batches, and parboil for 1-2 minutes and then shock in an ice water bath and then drain, and stand upright in a baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat a large sauté pan to medium heat and add the olive oil. add the onion and sauté for 1-2 minutes, then add the garlic and sauté another 2-3 minutes. add the thyme and tomato paste and sauté for 1-2 minutes, then deglaze the pan with the white wine. let the mixture simmer and incorporate for 2-3 minutes, then add the ground beef substitute, and heat through. once the mixture is heated through, remove from the heat and fill the bell peppers with the mixture. top with the Monterey jack cheese and bake for 30 minutes.
- Mix the sour cream with the chipotle puree and salt, and chill.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven and let the peppers rest for 10 minutes, serve, topped with chipotle sour cream.
- Wonderful with a nice chardonnay or pinot grigio.