Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers
- 4 cups organic vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups bulgur wheat
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh flat leaf parsley (italian parsley)
- 1⁄3 cup raisins (optional)
- 3 red bell peppers, halved and seeded
- 3 green bell peppers, halved and seeded
- 6 tablespoons plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- in large saucepan, bring water, cinnamon and cumin to a boil.
- Stir in Bulgar wheat.
- After water returns to a boil reduce to low heat, cover and simmer until water is absorbed (15 minutes).
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, combine mushrooms, tomatoes, onion , garlic and parsley.
- Cover and cook, until tender, but NOT MUSHY!
- Stir vegetable mixture into cooked bulgar. (If using raisins, add now also).
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Coat a shallow baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Arrange the bell pepper halves in a single layer, cut side up in pan.
- Spoon in filling equally, slightly mounding.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake until peppers are tender, about 45 minutes.
- To serve, top each pepper half with a spoonful of yogurt and sprinkle with sunflower seeds.
- YUM YUM!
Tried this recipe and felt that the overall flavor was lacking. Not very good.