Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a great vegetarian stuffed pepper with lots of protein! Found this in my collection of vegetarian recipes probably from the Moosewood cookbook! Serve with your favorite hot sauce
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces tempeh, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups corn
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 3 cups pinto beans, cooked and slightly mushed
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 red bell peppers (green work too)
- 1⁄4-1 cup tomato juice or 1⁄4-1 cup water
- 1 cup sour cream (grated cheddar works here too)
- In a skillet, cook the onions and garlic in the oil until the start to get soft. Add the tempeh and saute, sitrring often until it's browned. Add the tomatoes, corn, and seasonings. Cook until heated through. Mix in the cooked beans and soy sauce. Taste and add salt and pepper if desired.
- Cut the peppers in half lengthwise and remove the seeds. Leave the stem on if you can (they hold their shape better).
- Fill each pepper half with the stuffing and place in an oiled pan with the 1/2" of tomato juice or water in the bottom. Bake tightly covered at 375º for around 30-40 minutes.
- Serve on a bed of ricetopped with hot sauce. Garnish with sour cream or shredded cheese.