Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Loosely based on the Moosewood's "Comprehensively Stuffed Squash" Would make a great thanksgiving dish for vegetarians, fairly simple for a weeknight meal as well. You can improvise with what you have on hand.
- 1 acorn squash
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄8 cup dry sherry
- 2 cups dry bread cubes (unseasoned) or 2 cups croutons (unseasoned)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup sun-dried tomato (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- rubbed sage
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Cut squash in half, remove seeds, and bake, cut side down, at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, saute onions, celery, and carrot in butter or oil until soft and translucent. Add garlic and mushrooms, and continue cooking until they are soft and have released their juices. Add sherry to "deglaze" the pan, and allow to simmer briefly.
- Add bread cubes, raisins, sunflower seeds, sun-dried tomatoes, and walnuts, stir to combine. Add sage and salt/pepper to taste, then enough broth to soften; remove from heat.
- Once cooled slightly, stir in shredded cheese.
- Add stuffing to interior of squash, mounding as needed, and bake covered another 20-30 minutes. For a crunchier top, remove cover for the last 10 minutes.
I loved this! The store didn't have acorn squash (my fav) so I settled for buttercup. The stuffing is amazing. When it was done, it was so wonderful smelling that I left out the cheese. I used whole grain bread and unsalted sunflower seeds, and dry vermouth as I didn't have sherry. I love stuffing and as a vegetarian don't often get it. This is a keeper! (even just the stuffing part)
I agree. This stuffing is uber-tasty. I used all the ingredients except mushrooms (not my fav) and substituted poultry seasoning for the sage. I also didn't put the cheese in (I actually thought it would ruin it, the stuffing was so good!) but grated some cheddar on top after baking to try and it was a nice addition with the squash. Most definately making it again.
The stuffing was good but It was too dry, I maybe should have put more veggie stalk in it. I also didn't put the cheese in the stuffing mix but baked it on the top.