Recipe by Dorel
Remarkably similar in taste to real beef stew, but made with kidney beans for that no-cholesterol, no-fat goodness. I found this on boutell.com web-site. Very tasty stew. You may add tamari (soy sauce) for colour, and a few teaspoons nutritional yeast flakes. I did not count in the time to soak beans overnight. Times are approximate.
Top Review by Linorama
Mmm, it's been a long time since we sat down to a plate of stew! This was so easy to make and the portobello really gives it a meatiness. I didn't put the chili powder in - it just didn't seem to be the right blend of flavors to me, so I substituted with thyme and liked it very much. DH totally loved it. I thought the gravy was a little gray and looked unappetizing even with soy sauce added, so I will try some Kitchen Bouquet next time and see if the color improves. Thanks for the comfort food!
- 1⁄2 cup dried kidney beans (or one can pre-cooked beans)
- 2 -3 cups water (you could use vegetable stock)
- 2 -3 cloves garlic, chopped coarsely (more if you are a garlic lover)
- 1 small yellow onion, diced.
- 1 large potato, diced (do not pre-cook)
- 1 carrot, chopped coarsely,size is not too important.
- 1 portabella mushroom, sliced in 1 inch pieces
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt
- 1 -2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 -2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 -3 tablespoons flour or 2 -3 tablespoons cornstarch (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the beans overnight.
- Rinse and cook for 1/2 hour.
- (skip this step if using can beans) Add 2-3 cups water and bring back to boil.
- Add the vegetables and bring back to boil.
- Simmer, covered, until the potato and beans are thoroughly cooked.
- Takes about 1 hour, the longer it simmers the better its flavour.
- To thicken: in a container, shake up 2-3 tablespoons flour with a 1/2 cup of water.
- Add to the stew and bring to a boil.
- Boil for 5 minutes, stirring often to prevent sticking.
- Add a small amount of tamari sauce (soy sauce) to darken the stews color if desired.
- A few teaspoons nutritional yeast flakes for added flavour if desired.
- This stew refrigerates and freezes well.