Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
I made this recipe for the first time when I was on the spot when my husband's vegeterain parents showed up the for weekend. I am not sure where I got it or whether I just threw it together then. But even for the meat eaters in the family, it was a hit. My kids always asked for it as they grew up and called it "Grandama and Grandpa's Surprise". I still make it when they visit because they still like it even though they are all meat eaters now. They say it reminds them of their grandparents who are now gone. Anyway, it is good and I thought I would share it.
- 2 (20 ounce) cansworthington brand vegetarian dinner cuts (drain and save juice)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh white button mushrooms
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
- nutritional yeast (for frying, also called brewers yeast)
- oil (for frying)
- coat the cutlets in the nutritional yeast and fry on both sides until light golden borwn. Set aside.
- Slice mushrooms and chop onion. Saute toghether in small amount of oil until onions are soft and mushrooms are cooked.
- Mix together the sour cream and mushroom soup. Add 1/2 the can of juice from the steaks and mix well.
- Add the mushrooms and onions.
- Put the cutlets in a 9x13 dish overlapping the ends.
- Pour the mushroom soup mixture over the cutlets.
- (you can use an 8x8 pan for the extra steaks if they don't all fit in the 9x13 pan).
- Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Thank you so much for posting this recipe! I grew up with a friend whose mother used to make this all the time, but I lost touch with them years ago and didn't know the recipe. I made this for my family and everyone (except my picky daughter) loved it. thanks again jeremy