I made this recipe for the first time when I was on the spot when my husband's vegeterain parents showed up the for weekend. I am not sure where I got it or whether I just threw it together then. But even for the meat eaters in the family, it was a hit. My kids always asked for it as they grew up and called it "Grandama and Grandpa's Surprise". I still make it when they visit because they still like it even though they are all meat eaters now. They say it reminds them of their grandparents who are now gone. Anyway, it is good and I thought I would share it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (20 ounce) cans worthington brand vegetarian dinner cuts (drain and save juice)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 lbs fresh white button mushrooms
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
- nutritional yeast (for frying, also called brewers yeast)
- oil (for frying)
- 1coat the cutlets in the nutritional yeast and fry on both sides until light golden borwn. Set aside.
- 2Slice mushrooms and chop onion. Saute toghether in small amount of oil until onions are soft and mushrooms are cooked.
- 3Mix together the sour cream and mushroom soup. Add 1/2 the can of juice from the steaks and mix well.
- 4Add the mushrooms and onions.
- 5Put the cutlets in a 9x13 dish overlapping the ends.
- 6Pour the mushroom soup mixture over the cutlets.
- 7(you can use an 8x8 pan for the extra steaks if they don't all fit in the 9x13 pan).
- 8Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.
- 9Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Steaks Deluxe
Serving Size: 1 (240 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 219.3
- Calories from Fat 155
- Total Fat 17.3 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 26.3 mg
- Sodium 528.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 5.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vegetarian dinner cuts