bluemoon downunder's Note:
Celebrate the Year of the Dog with these Vegetarian Spring Rolls, or enjoy them at any time. From the latest issue of the Australian 'New Idea'.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 100 g vermicelli bean thread noodles
- 20 g dried shiitake mushrooms, about 10
- 230 g sliced bamboo shoots, drained, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 200 g bean sprouts, trimmed (see Notes)
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 (450 g) packet frozen spring roll wrappers, thawed
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
- bottled sweet and sour sauce, to serve
- fresh herb, to garnish
- 1Place the noodles in a large heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water; stand for 10 minutes or until the noodles are soft; drain well; using scissors, cut the noodles into large pieces.
- 2Place the mushrooms in a small heatproof bowl and cover them with boiling water; allow them to stay covered with the water for 20 minutes or until they are soft; drain well and slice the mushrooms thinly.
- 3Combine the noodles, mushrooms, bamboo shoots, garlic, hoisin sauce and bean shoots in a large bowl, season with salt and pepper, to taste and mix well.
- 4Brush the edges of one pastry sheet with a little of the egg white; place 2 tablespoons of noodle mixture on one pastry sheet corner and fold the pastry corner over the filling; roll up the pastry, folding in the sides to enclose the filling; repeat with the remaining pastry sheets, egg white and noodle mixture.
- 5Heat the oil in a large, deep pan and deep-fry the spring rolls in batches until they are golden brown; drain them on absorbent paper.
- 6Serve the spring rolls with dipping sauce and garnish with fresh herbs.
- 7Notes: I'm not sure why - or quite where - bean shoots need trimming. Personally, I'll leave my bean shoots untrimmed! I left this detail in because it was in the recipe.
Browse Our Top Egg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Spring Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (1159 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 63.4
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 1.3 mg
- Sodium 97.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 2.1 g