Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Celebrate the Year of the Dog with these Vegetarian Spring Rolls, or enjoy them at any time. From the latest issue of the Australian 'New Idea'.
- 100 g vermicelli bean thread noodles
- 20 g dried shiitake mushrooms, about 10
- 230 g sliced bamboo shoots, drained, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 200 g bean sprouts, trimmed (see Notes)
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 (450 g) packetfrozen spring roll wrappers, thawed
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
- bottled sweet and sour sauce, to serve
- fresh herb, to garnish
- Place the noodles in a large heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water; stand for 10 minutes or until the noodles are soft; drain well; using scissors, cut the noodles into large pieces.
- Place the mushrooms in a small heatproof bowl and cover them with boiling water; allow them to stay covered with the water for 20 minutes or until they are soft; drain well and slice the mushrooms thinly.
- Combine the noodles, mushrooms, bamboo shoots, garlic, hoisin sauce and bean shoots in a large bowl, season with salt and pepper, to taste and mix well.
- Brush the edges of one pastry sheet with a little of the egg white; place 2 tablespoons of noodle mixture on one pastry sheet corner and fold the pastry corner over the filling; roll up the pastry, folding in the sides to enclose the filling; repeat with the remaining pastry sheets, egg white and noodle mixture.
- Heat the oil in a large, deep pan and deep-fry the spring rolls in batches until they are golden brown; drain them on absorbent paper.
- Serve the spring rolls with dipping sauce and garnish with fresh herbs.
- Notes: I'm not sure why - or quite where - bean shoots need trimming. Personally, I'll leave my bean shoots untrimmed! I left this detail in because it was in the recipe.
I think We need to trim the front ( the yellow) bean of the beanspout because the yellow is too hard to cook where as the rest of it will be cooked in mintues and we trim the back because the back part it like a hair, the dish wont look nice with that. This is According to me. yuo have got exactly what i was looking for, thanks a lot.
really delicious! I did trim the bean sprouts. needs a tad bit more seasoning, but my vegetarian husband ate these throughout Ramadan with a big smile. He found the bean thread noodles to be a pleasant change from "typical" spring rolls.
The are just wonderful!... I did add in some cooked ground pork and increased the garlic slightly, I also used cooked fresh chopped button mushrooms in place of the dryed shiitake. What a delicious spring roll, thanks so much bluemoon!...Kitten:)