- 3 cups dried split peas
- 7 cups water (may need more) or 7 cups vegetable stock (may need more)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 cups onions, minced
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 3 stalks celery, minced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 potato, diced
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 -4 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, to taste (or red wine vinegar)
- sesame oil (optional)
- fresh ripe tomatoes, diced (optional)
- fresh parsley, minced (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place first 5 ingredients in a large pot.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer, partially covered for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent split peas from sticking to bottom of pot.
- Add onions, garlic, celery, carrots and potato. (You can saute these first or add them in directly if you want a fat free soup).
- Partially cover and allow to simmer for about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.(You may need to add extra water).
- Season to taste with pepper and vinegar.
- Serve with a drizzle of sesame oil, diced tomato and minced parsley.