1/10 Photos of Vegetarian Split Pea Soup
1 hr 15 mins
Dreamer in Ontario's Note:
This recipe comes from the Moosewood Cookbook. It's my favourite vegetarian pea soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups dried split peas
- 7 cups water (may need more) or 7 cups vegetable stock (may need more)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 cups onions, minced
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 3 stalks celery, minced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 potato, diced
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 -4 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, to taste (or red wine vinegar)
- 1Place first 5 ingredients in a large pot.
- 2Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer, partially covered for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent split peas from sticking to bottom of pot.
- 3Add onions, garlic, celery, carrots and potato. (You can saute these first or add them in directly if you want a fat free soup).
- 4Partially cover and allow to simmer for about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.(You may need to add extra water).
- 5Season to taste with pepper and vinegar.
- 6Serve with a drizzle of sesame oil, diced tomato and minced parsley.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Split Pea Soup
Serving Size: 1 (386 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 403.1
- Calories from Fat 12
- Total Fat 1.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 833.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 27.7 g
- Sugars 12.1 g
- Protein 26.0 g