Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe comes from the Moosewood Cookbook. It's my favourite vegetarian pea soup.
- 3 cups dried split peas
- 7 cups water (may need more) or 7 cups vegetable stock (may need more)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 cups onions, minced
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 3 stalks celery, minced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 potato, diced
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 -4 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, to taste (or red wine vinegar)
- sesame oil (optional)
- fresh ripe tomatoes, diced (optional)
- fresh parsley, minced (optional)
- Place first 5 ingredients in a large pot.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer, partially covered for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent split peas from sticking to bottom of pot.
- Add onions, garlic, celery, carrots and potato. (You can saute these first or add them in directly if you want a fat free soup).
- Partially cover and allow to simmer for about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.(You may need to add extra water).
- Season to taste with pepper and vinegar.
- Serve with a drizzle of sesame oil, diced tomato and minced parsley.
delicious! - we couldn't stop eating it. I only gave it 4 stars because I didn't follow the recipe exactly but I worked with what I had on hand. I used 2 garlic, 2 celery, 2 carrot, a mix of onion & leek to make 2 cups, 1/2 tsp mustard seed & no potato, bay leaf & a small piece of kombu, salt & pepper. I sauteed the veggies then added the dry split peas (2 1/2 cups) - didn't want to deal w/ cleaning 2 pots. At the end I took a tip from "101cookbooks" split pea recipe. I added lemon juice from about a 1/2 of a lemon (to taste) & that really punched up the flavors. Then to each bowl I sprinkled on some smoked paprika which gave it that wonderful smokey flavor. This was a huge hit among non- veggies!
Love this soup. I made it vegetarian and left out the vinegar. For those of you that want the flavor of ham but want to keep it vegetarian just use liquid smoke. I used a splash of Wrightâ€™s All Natural Hickory Seasoning (liquid smoke) and it came out great. NOTE: liquid smoke is concentrated so a little goes a long way.
Hands down, the BEST vegan split pea soup Ive ever had. I followed almost to the tee. Except for: - I used vegetable stock, not plain water - I cooked the tomatoes (small yellow ones cause thats what I had), rather than a topping - no sesame oil (I just couldnt do it) - I added a little ditalini pasta, cause apparantly I used too much liquid. (Hoestly didnt even measure)