Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is my vegetarian version of split pea soup without the ham bone. It goes nicely with fresh-baked bread, which is also included in my recipes. Substitute 1 cup of barley for the rice, if you like :)
- 2 cups split peas, rinsed and sorted
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 turnip, peel and dice (optional)
- 1 medium potato, peel and dice
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 8 ounces spinach, chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups water (or more as needed)
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large soup pot, saute onion and celery in oil until tender. Add carrots, turnip, and potato. Saute about 5 more minutes. Add water, broth, peas, rice, and spinach.
- Simmer until peas are tender (this will take about 2-4 hours), stirring every so often to avoid scorching. Add water or broth as needed to keep soup from becoming too thick. Add parsley, salt, and pepper in the last 30 minutes.
- Warning: If you do not add water during the cooking process, the soup will be very thick and the split peas may not soften!