Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
- 2 lbs spinach
- 5 zucchini
- 2 onions
- 1⁄3 cup fresh basil (loosely packed)
- freshly-ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Cut coarse stems off spinach.
- Place leaves in colander and rinse with cold water, lifting and tossing spinach to wash away grit.
- Shake spinach to get rid of excess water and put it in a large bowl.
- Set aside.
- Cut off stem top and root bottom of each zucchini.
- Slice in 1/4-inch slices and add to spinach.
- Cut stem top and root bottom off onions.
- Cut onions in half lengthwise from stem top down.
- Put each half flat-side down on a cutting board and cut lengthwise in strips 1/4-inch wide, then holding strips together, cut onion in 1/4-inch strips crosswise.
- Add onions to bowl.
- Stack basil leaves in a pile, and with sharp paring knife, chop into small pieces.
- Add to bowl.
- Using your hands, reach to bottom of bowl and gently toss and turn vegetables until they are well mixed.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and turn to mix well.
- Place vegetable mixture in 4-quart casserole and drizzle oil evenly over top.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees, checking after 30 minutes to see if all greens seem tender and nicely blended.
- If they are, sprinkle cheese over top, put lid back on and bake another 5 minutes.
- If they aren't done, bake another 5 to 10 minutes before adding cheese.
- Serve hot.
- Serve with small red new potatoes boiled and rolled in olive oil, finely chopped garlic, salt and coarse black pepper.