Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 8 ounces spinach, cleaned and roughly chopped
- 8 ounces tofu, drained and cut into 1/2-inch-dice
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- salt and pepper
- Pour the stock into a large sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- Add the spinach, tofu, mushrooms, and ginger, return to a boil and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the sesame oil.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve hot.
This soup turned out well, though I added a bit of soy sauce, crushed red pepper and scallions for a little extra flavor.
One of the best soups i've ever had, I added a little garlic to substatute for the sesame oil I didn't have. It tasted great, I would recommend for a dinner party, or just for dinner. Plus it's really healthy and good for you. :)
Thanks for this. It's simple and makes a quick lunch meal for us. I could see that it might become a "get well" soup like Nikoma said. We've found tha it's important to make sure you have a vegie stock you really like, however, because with such simple ingredients, the stock flavor will be pronounced.