Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This casserole is a simple, easy to prepare, one-dish, meatless meal. Great for brunches. Be sure to drain the spinach really well. For non veggies, you can easily substitute ground breakfast sausage or crumbled bacon if you prefer.
- 453.59 g container low fat cottage cheese
- 283.49 g package frozen spinach, thawed and very well drained
- 236.59 ml shredded mozzarella cheese (cheddar or pepper jack are good substitutes as well)
- 118.29 ml ground soy sausage, lightly browned (I like LiteLife Gimme Lean brand)
- 118.29 ml green onion, sliced
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- salt and pepper
- Thoroughly mix all ingredients.
- Pour mixture into a greased 9 inch pie plate (I have also used a square casserole dish as well).
- Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes or until center is set.
- Once out of the oven, I usually let it sit for 5 or 10 minutes.
- To serve, either cut into wedges, or squares, depending on what type of dish you used.
I made this last night and it was easy and delicious! I used Morningstar breakfast sausage, a combination of pepper jack and reduced fat cheddar cheeses and 0% fat cottage cheese. It was a little runny even after additional baking time but it was great. My one year old LOVED it. My three year old liked it but didn't want to admit it. We will be finishing it up tonight and I will definitely make this again.
This is really good. I didn't have any ground soy sausage so I used 2 morningstar sausage patty's and crumbled them up. I also added 1/2 cup of sliced mushrooms and topped it off with some sliced tomatoes and alittle more cheese ontop. Will be making this often. Thank you for posting.
This was pretty good. I ended up doubling the recipe as I wanted to use up the entire pound of the GimmeLean sausage substitute. I used fatfree cottage cheese and egg substitute to save on calories and fat grams. I also added a generous helping of chopped garlic and added extra grated parmesan cheese to the top. This was enjoyed for two dinners in a row at our house. Thanks for posting!