Recipe by Kozmic Blues
This casserole is a simple, easy to prepare, one-dish, meatless meal. Great for brunches. Be sure to drain the spinach really well. For non veggies, you can easily substitute ground breakfast sausage or crumbled bacon if you prefer.
Top Review by crabbyspice
I made this last night and it was easy and delicious! I used Morningstar breakfast sausage, a combination of pepper jack and reduced fat cheddar cheeses and 0% fat cottage cheese. It was a little runny even after additional baking time but it was great. My one year old LOVED it. My three year old liked it but didn't want to admit it. We will be finishing it up tonight and I will definitely make this again.
- 1 (16 ounce) container low fat cottage cheese
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed and very well drained
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (cheddar or pepper jack are good substitutes as well)
- 1⁄2 cup ground soy sausage, lightly browned (I like LiteLife Gimme Lean brand)
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, sliced
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Thoroughly mix all ingredients.
- Pour mixture into a greased 9 inch pie plate (I have also used a square casserole dish as well).
- Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes or until center is set.
- Once out of the oven, I usually let it sit for 5 or 10 minutes.
- To serve, either cut into wedges, or squares, depending on what type of dish you used.