Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
An easy recipe for vegetarian Spanish rice, using fresh tomatoes, bell peppers and green chilies. Found while searching for Spanish recipes for ZWT5. Cilantro would make a good addition, if you like it.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 1⁄3 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup red bell pepper, choped
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies
- In a food processor or blender, blend the tomatoes, garlic, onion and 1/3 cup vegetable broth until smooth. Set aside. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the rice and stir until coated with the oil.
- Stir the tomato mixture into the rice. Add the remaining broth, cover, and cook over low heat until the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender, about 25 minutes.
- Stir in the peppers and green chilies. Heat through and serve immediately.
This was the best Spanish rice recipe I have ever made Have made it a few times and it is always a hit!
I made this for my wife and she loved it. I honestly will never buy a boxed Spanish rice again! Thanks for the great recipe.
It was great!