Recipe by Sylvie Fortin
I previously posted the original recipe with real chicken. Our family became vegetarian after that recipe was posted, and we've been converting our favorite recipes into the vegetarian versions. We loved the vegetarian version of this recipe and decided to share it with the rest of the world. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do! For the vegetarian chicken, we use Worthington Vegetable Skallops. Although they are technically supposed to be a replacement for scallops, we like the color and texture of this as a chicken replacement. I've made it three times with perfect results each time. If you like your food a little more spicy, like we do, add a bit more cayenne and maybe even some cumin seeds. We serve this on rice. This recipe is fully vegan.
- 2 cups vegetarian chicken pieces
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (12 ounce) jarwhole roasted sweet red peppers, drained and sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 1 (22 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- In plastic bag, toss veggie chicken with flour to coat.
- In large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium high heat.
- Brown chicken on all sides, tossing often, for about 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer veggie chicken to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Add red peppers, onion, garlic, thyme, paprika, cayenne, and salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in wine and tomatoes.
- Nestle veggie chicken in sauce and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer, occasionally spooning sauce over veggie chicken, for about 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parsley right before serving.