bluemoon downunder's Note:
A vegetarian pasta sauce which I hope will appeal to vegetarians, and to those committed to having at least some meat-free meals. It can, of course, be made using any pasta - either regular or wholemeal. Adapted from a recipe in Karen Meyer's 'The Artful Vegetarian' and posted for the Healthy for the Holidays Challenge. One of my adaptations was to add the carrot, on the recommendation of an old Italian lady who (with reference to pasta dishes made with meat) told me that in her village carrot was the secret ingredient to a successful pasta sauce. Certainly baby carrots add sweetness. If you are not using baby carrots, and if you don't usually add some sweetness, give it a try. You could add a teaspoon of sugar or honey, to taste. Whatever its source, the sweetness blends beautifully with the other flavours, particularly with the tomatoes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 16 ounces whole wheat spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 onions, diced
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 4 baby carrots, grated
- 3 cups mushrooms, chopped
- 8 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups cooked brown lentils
- 1 teaspoon tamari (see Notes)
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano or 2 teaspoons fresh oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil or 2 teaspoons fresh basil
- 1 cup tofu, cubed
- 1 teaspoon extra tamari (see Notes) or 1/2 teaspoon vegetable salt
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 3/4 cup almonds, chopped
- 1Cook the spaghetti in plenty of boiling water until tender, 10-15 minutes.
- 2Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan and add the garlic and onions and saute, stirring, for 3-4 minutes; add the red and green pepper, mushrooms and carrot and saute for a further 3-4 minutes.
- 3Add the tomatoes, brown lentils, tamari, parsley and herbs and cook for 5 minutes until well heated.
- 4Sprinkle a little tamari on the tofu squares and heat the extra 2 teaspoons of oil in a separate (preferably non-stick) pan and lightly saute the tofu squares until they are lightly coloured on each side.
- 5Drain the spaghetti and distribute it between 6 serving plates.
- 6Pour the lentil sauce over the spaghetti, scatter the tofu on top and sprinkle with the chopped almonds.
- 7Serve with a salad or steamed vegetables.
- 8NOTES: Tamari is pure, top quality soy sauce, and is free from chemicals and preservatives. It can be used for flavouring in place of added salt or stock cubes in soups, vegetable dishes, pies, casseroles and dressings. It is available at health food stores and large supermarkets.
Browse Our Top Spaghetti Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Spaghetti Bolognese
Serving Size: 1 (540 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 747.6
- Calories from Fat 151
- Total Fat 16.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1952.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 118.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 26.0 g
- Sugars 11.9 g
- Protein 41.2 g