Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I found this recipe at eatbetteramerica.com This is one of my favorites! I absolutely love it. I am posting the recipe as written but I use my own recipe for marinara sauce. I also use whole wheat breadcrumbs. I find that whole wheat is a little heartier. Serving size is enough for 6 people to have two meatballs each. So keep that in mind when you make this.
- 1 (16 ounce) packageuncooked spaghetti
- 2 cups cooked brown rice (can use white rice instead if desired)
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne) (optional)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups pasta sauce
- shredded parmesan cheese, if desired
- Cook and drain spaghetti as directed on package.
- In large bowl, mix rice, oats, onion, bread crumbs, milk, basil, oregano, red pepper (if desired) and egg. Shape into 12 balls. Roll balls in wheat germ.
- In 10-inch skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook balls in oil about 10 minutes, turning occasionally, until golden brown.
- Heat pasta sauce until hot. Serve sauce and "meat" balls over spaghetti. Sprinkle with cheese.