Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
An easy stand by meal that the kids love. I usually double the recipe and pop it in the freezer for an instant meal when time is at a premium.
- 1 medium onion
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown lentils
- 1 whole dried chili
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 900 ml water
- 2 teaspoons vegetable stock powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (400 g) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 (140 g) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- spaghetti (for serving)
- Cook onion and garlic in the oil for five minutes until onion is soft.
- Add lentils, chili, salt and pepper, and water.
- Simmer 30 minutes.
- Add stock, basil, oregano, tomatoes, tomato paste, and vinegar.
- Simmer uncovered approx one hour, stirring occasionally.
- Serve on spaghetti and sprinkle with cheese.
I was going to post this exact recipe but you beat me to it! :o) It's one of our very favorites and even my non-lentil-loving friends will have seconds of it. We also use it over potatoes, as filling for vegetarian lasgana, etc. I usually add a bit of red wine, too. It's a great recipe!