Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Great greens without the meat! Adapted from Sunny Anderson from the show Cooking for Real,Episode: Carolina On My Mind!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (more or less to taste)
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 lb collard greens, chopped
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped (optional)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- smoked paprika (optional)
- apple cider vinegar (optional)
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat oil and butter. Saute the onions until slightly softened, about 2 minutes, then add the red pepper flakes and garlic, cook another minute. Add collard greens and cook another minute. Add the vegetable stock, cover and bring to a simmer. Cook until greens are tender, about 45 minutes. Add tomatoes and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add a little smoked paprika and cider vinegar to taste if desired. Enjoy!