1 hr 5 mins
A recipe from a May 1985 back issue of Better Homes & Gardens, that I made vegetarian. These could do great as a mini-casserole or an appetizer! According to the factoid written with the recipe, these are a popular treat on New Year's. The only thing I changed in this recipe is to use a small 8-oz can pinto or roman beans (1/4 dry cup if not using canned). This was to replace 3/4 cup chopped cubed ham, meat lovers feel free to use the original. It also called for 1 cup cooked brown rice which translates to 1/3 cup dry rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup brown rice
- 2/3 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion (I usually hydrate 1 TB dried onions)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded and divided into 3/4 and 1/4 c
- 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained (or roman beans)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1Cook the rice in the vegetable broth and 2 tbsp butter, cover and simmer until al dente, about 15-20 minutes.
- 2While the rice is cooking, cook pepper and onion in the remaining 2 tbsp butter until tender in a heavy-bottom saucepan, about 10-15 minutes.
- 3Stir in the flour, chili powder, and cumin.
- 4Stir the milk, cook and stir until bubbly then remove from heat.
- 5Stir in 3/4 cup shredded cheese and the eggs, black eye peas, the ham or ham substitute (pinto beans here), and rice. Mix thoroughly.
- 6Preheat the oven to 350°F Grease an 8x8x2 baking pan with butter-flavor cooking spray, then pour in the mixture from the saucepan. Pat it down evenly.
- 7Top with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese, and bake for 30 minutes on the center rack or until set. Cut into sixths.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Southern Johnny Squares
Serving Size: 1 (231 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 359.7
- Calories from Fat 165
- Total Fat 18.4 g
- Saturated Fat 10.7 g
- Cholesterol 109.2 mg
- Sodium 452.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 16.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: