Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a great Vegetarian Casserole Recipe my mother has made for many years. My teenage daughter loves it too and it is something we enjoy making together. (My husband who is not a Vegetarian even looks forward to having this dish for dinner!) I usually double the recipe so I can make one pan to eat right away and then I freeze one for a future dinner. I hope you and your family will enjoy it too.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry bulgur
- 3 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packetsg washington's broth instant bouillon granules (Rich Brown Seasoning & Broth)
- 2 tablespoons mckay's beef style instant broth & seasoning (Meat Free)
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
GREEN BEANS LAYER
- 16 ounces frozen French-cut green beans (Thawed)
MUSHROOM SOUP LAYER
- 2 (10 1/4 ounce) cans Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup (LEAVE CONDENSED, NEEDS TO BE THICK)
MASHED POTATOES LAYER
- 2 1⁄2 lbs potatoes (cut up, boiled & drained)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fat free sour cream
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese (Softened)
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat milk
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (Reserve 1 Cup for extra for topping for each portion when serving)
- Pour Olive Oil in the bottom of a saute pan. Add Diced Onion and saute slightly until onions start to soften.
- Add DRY Bulgur to onions and continue to saute over medium heat for 5 minutes. Stir Dry Bulgur and Onion mixture constantly, so that you slightly brown the Bulgur, but be careful not to burn it.
- Add Vegetable Broth, Seasonings, Minced Garlic and Garlic Salt to Bulgur and Onion mixture. Continue with Medium heat stirring occasionally until all liquid has been absorbed and the bulgar is softened. Once liquid has been absorbed, turn off heat and set aside to cool.
- Once cooled, spread Bulgur and Onion Mixture as the bottom layer of casserole in the bottom of a deep 9 x 12 pan.
- The next layer of the casserole is the Thawed French Style Green Beans. (I use my microwave to Thaw these and they actually get cooked slightly and that is fine too).
- Using a spatula, spread an even layer of Cream of Mushroom CONDENSED Soup over the Green Beans being sure to use both cans for this layer.
- The final layer of this casserole consists of "Mashed Potatoes". Prepare Potatoes for mashing by cutting up, boiling and then drain once Potatoes are cooked through. (I always use Red Skin or Yukon Gold Potatoes and leave the skins on, this really cuts down on prep time.).
- Next using a mixer or hand beater, mix the remaining Mashed Potato Layer ingredients together - Salt, Sour Cream, Cream Cheese and Milk with the cooked Potatoes to make Mashed Potatoes.
- Spread the Mashed Potatoes over the Cream of Mushroom Soup Layer, being sure to cover evenly.
- Before baking top with 2 cups of the Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 55 minutes covered with foil tent, being careful not to touch the foil to the cheese and then for another 5 minutes uncovered.
- Let cool for 5 - 7 minutes before serving to allow time for the potatoes to set up slightly.
- Using 2 Spatulas cut into squares and carefully lift sections to plates.
- After serving top each portion with the remaining Cheese and ENJOY!
- Additional Comments: * * * If you cannot find GWashington's or McKay's Seasonings & Broth, feel free to try other types but be careful not to over season the Bulgur. You do want it to be very flavorful, but not salty. * * * If you choose to double the recipe and freeze a pan for a meal at a later date - Thaw the frozen casserole in the fridge for 1-1/2 or 2 days and then bake for 2 hours at 350 degrees. * * *.