Recipe by packeyes
This is a slight altercation of a Rachael Ray recipe. I really liked, DH thought it was okay.
Top Review by Monique #2
I was looking for a meat free recipe to try out and this was great. I used both red and green bell peppers. And like SweetySJD I ended up with stewed tomatoes instead of crushed (that is all my store had. I don't think it affected the flavor at all. I can't wait to try the left overs.
Will make again.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- Tabasco sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (anchovy-free vegetarian variety)
- 1 lime, juice of
- 4 crusty rolls, cut in half
- 2 dill pickles, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 avocado, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over a medium heat. Add the bell pepper, jalapeno, red onion, and garlic. Cook, stirring, until tender, 6-8 minutes. Stir in black beans, cumin and coriander.
- In a small bowl, combine the tomatoes, brown sugar, worcestershire sauce, and as much tabasco sauce as you would like (depending on your preference of spiciness). Add to the black beans; simmer for a few minutes. Stir in the lime juice.
- Spoon bean mixture onto half of a crusty roll, top with cilantro, pickles and sliced avocado. Cover with the other half of the roll and enjoy :).