Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Courtesy of Better Homes and Gardens - bhg.com. This recipe got good reviews on that website, so I'm putting it here for safe keeping and hopefully I'll get around to making it. Lemme know what ya think!
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 large green sweet pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups precooked and crumbled ground meat substitute (soy protein)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (optional)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (2 cloves)
- 8 -10 hamburger buns, toasted
- In a large skillet cook onion and sweet pepper in hot oil for 5 to 7 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in ground-meat substitute, tomato puree, the water, barbecue sauce, mustard, soy sauce (if desired), chili powder, and garlic.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve on buns.
Great recipe, the family loved, I will definitely make again. I might add some more vegetables next time; the peppers and onions were great, but I love lots of veggies. Goes great on a bun with some cheddar cheese or as leftovers with rice!
Very tasty, easy to prepare recipe. I added a couple squirts of ketchup to give it more of a traditional sloppy joe taste. I went easy on the chili powder - have a 4 & 2 year old - and they both enjoyed it as well. Served them on lightly toasted onion rolls. Thanks for a yummy recipe!
This was a great recipe. It was full of flavor and and really quite tasty. I will be making this again.