Recipe by QueenQT26
Courtesy of Better Homes and Gardens - bhg.com. This recipe got good reviews on that website, so I'm putting it here for safe keeping and hopefully I'll get around to making it. Lemme know what ya think!
Top Review by sassy8806
Great recipe, the family loved, I will definitely make again. I might add some more vegetables next time; the peppers and onions were great, but I love lots of veggies. Goes great on a bun with some cheddar cheese or as leftovers with rice!
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 large green sweet pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups precooked and crumbled ground meat substitute (soy protein)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (optional)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (2 cloves)
- 8 -10 hamburger buns, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet cook onion and sweet pepper in hot oil for 5 to 7 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in ground-meat substitute, tomato puree, the water, barbecue sauce, mustard, soy sauce (if desired), chili powder, and garlic.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve on buns.