Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
The portabello mushrooms make this dark, rich sauce taste fantastic.
- 3 portabella mushrooms, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 stalks celery, chopped fine
- 1 small onion, chopped fine
- 4 cups canned tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 4 toasted deli rolls
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- Heat oil in a large fry pan over medium heat.
- Add garlic and stir.
- Add celery and onions.
- Cook until translucent and tender.
- Add mushrooms and cook over medium high heat until tender.
- Reduce heat to a simmer.
- Add tomatoes, ketchup and vinegar and heat through.
- Serve over toasted deli rolls.
- Top with cheese and serve.
This made a very good sandwich. Next time I will probably cook the mixture longer after adding the tomatoes (they still tasted like they'd just come out of the can) and I'll probably add some spices. It was also tasty as written, though! Thanks for sharing this one. I'd say it took even less time to prepare than indicated on the recipe.