Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
Make and share this Vegetarian Shepherd's-Style Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (14 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup dry lentils, rinsed and drained
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 medium red onion, cut into wedges
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut up
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded colby cheese
- In a large pot, add broth, water, lentils and garlic.
- Bring mixture to boiling; lower heat and cover.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add parsnips and onions.
- Return mixture to boiling; lower heat and cover.
- Simmer for 15 minutes or until veggies and lentils are tender.
- Remove pot from heat.
- Stir in tomatoes and tomato paste.
- In a 2-quart saucepan, cook potatoes in salted water to cover for 20-25 minutes or until tender; drain.
- Mash potatoes with a potato masher or whip with an electric mixer.
- Add butter, thyme, and salt.
- Gradually beat in enough milk to get a fluffy consistency.
- Stir in 1 cup of cheese until melted.
- Spread lentil mixture into an oblong or appropriate size casserole.
- Top with potato mixture.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until heated thoroughly.
- Uncover and sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese melts.
Great idea - loved the lentils here. Next time I will cook the parsnips a bit beforehand and reduce the thyme. Thanks!
We made this shepherd's pie on St. Patrick's Day and enjoyed it very much. I thought the parsnips were a really nice addition. I could see adding in a little carrot and peas as well to get in a few more veggies. Thanks for posting.
My mother recently became a vegetarian and I was having people over for St. Patrick's day and was looking for something to make for her in leiu of corned beef. This was perfect (even if not Irish). We all thouroughly enjoyed it. I made homemade vegetable broth to use in this receipe. None of us had ever cooked with parsnips, but we all commented on how delicious they were. Thanks for introducing us! I will make this again.