Prep 1 hr
Cook 9 hrs
Next time you buy sweet potatoes, buy a few extra to make this delicious low fat vegetarian supper. If you prefer a "meat" dish just omit the bulgar and salt, and saute 1 pound of ground beef and add it to crock pot adding it to the crock pot before adding the vegetables to the crock pot. This recipe requires a greased 5 quart (or larger) slow cooker When I made this I only used two parsnips instead of the 4 as in the instructions but huge sweet potatoes. We served this with sourdough bread and I topped mine with low-fat sour cream. I also think this would be a great veggie side dish (skipping the bulgur) to accompany chicken. Recipe source: The Healthy Slow Cooker
For the topping
- 4 sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
For the pie
- 1 cup bulgur (see note in description if you prefer a meat-lovers shepherd pie)
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 -5 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 -5 parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons rosemary (or 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary minced)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms (or 8 ounce regular mushrooms, quartered)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup swiss cheese (optional)
- To make the topping: in a pot of boiling water, cook sweet potatoes until tender (20-30 minutes). Drain; mash potatoes, stir in butter and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- To make the pie: in a bowl combine bulgur and boiling water; set aside for 20 minutes or until water is absorbed. Set aside.
- Over medium heat, heat oil in a skillet for 30 seconds or so.
- Add vegetables (onions - parsnips) and cook, stirring until vegetables are softened (6-10 minutes).
- Stir in garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper, continuing to cook stirring for another minute or so.
- Stir in mushrooms, tossing to coat.
- Stir in flour and cook stirring for another minute or so.
- Stir in broth and tomato paste. Bring mixture to a boil and then transfer to slow cooker.
- Add bulgur and stir in well.
- Spread sweet potato topping over mixture.
- Place a tea towel folded in half over top of stoneware to absorb excess moisture. (I used a paper towel but a tea towel would probably work so much better.).
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or on High for 3-4 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Sprinkle with Swiss cheese if using, and cover and cook on high for another 15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
I made this with ground round instead of the bulgur and it was good. Used canned yams instead of fresh and more vegetable broth for the water. Added the swiss cheese and cooked on low in the crock pot. This wasnt a favorite for DH but was nice to try.
Very savory and satisfying. However, I wouldn't call the swiss cheese optional: it definitely needed the fat and flavor.