1/1 Photo of Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie
1 hr 5 mins
Shepherd's Pie without the meat - but who would notice? Not one of those veggie and bean filled vegetarian versions, this one looks and tastes like the real deal! If you're vegan, I'd suggest Olive Oil Mashed Potatoes - Olive Oil Mashed Potatoes for the mashed potatoes. With regard to the review that suggests it is very runny, please view my photo; I've made this 30+ times and have never had that issue! I do recommend you let it set 15 minutes before serving, though.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 -5 large potatoes, diced for boiling, depending on size
- 6 garlic cloves, whole (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 -6 garlic cloves, crushed, depending on your preference for garlic
- 350 g vegetarian ground beef, i prefer yves
- 2 -4 tablespoons vegetarian worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 (15 ounce) can creamed corn
- 250 g light sour cream (regular or vegan)
- 250 g old cheddar cheese, shredded (can sub daiya)
- 1/2 cup milk or 1/2 cup almond milk or 1/2 cup soymilk, etc
- salt and pepper
- 1Toss the potatoes and garlic cloves into a pot of boiling water and boil until potatoes are just tender.
- 2While the potatoes and garlic boil, add the oil and onion to a pan on medium heat and cook until onions are transparent; add the garlic, ground beef substitute, and frozen peas. Simmer until peas are no longer frozen. Add Worcestershire sauce, fresh ground pepper, and salt, if needed, to taste. Set aside.
- 3When potatoes are tender, drain well and mash (with garlic), add sour cream, shredded cheese, and milk, and mash again. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 4In a 9" deep dish baking dish (I use a round glass dish), first add the ground beef mixture, and pat down. Pour the creamed corn over, and spread evenly. Dollop the mashed potato and carefully spread evenly. Sprinkle with paprika. Cook at 375 for 45 minutes, or until the centre is hot and creamed corn is just starting to bubble through.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie
Serving Size: 1 (403 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 482.7
- Calories from Fat 197
- Total Fat 21.9 g
- Saturated Fat 11.6 g
- Cholesterol 73.0 mg
- Sodium 447.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 23.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vegetarian worcestershire sauce