Recipe by bernrome
This recipe comes from the book 'Living the G.I. Diet' by Rick Gallop. The original recipe calls for a cup of canned stewed tomatoes, but I substitute a cup of canned Italian style diced tomatoes.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 cup bulgur
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup canned diced tomato, undrained
- 2 red new potatoes
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 (19 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, bulgur, oregano, and basil and cook until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Add the broth and tomatoes, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until the bulgur is just tender, about 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, pierce the potatoes all over with a fork. Place the potatoes in a small bowl with the water and microwave on high for 5 minutes. Let cool.
- Add the chickpeas, peas, and half each of the salt and pepper to the bulgur mixture and stir to combine. Scrape into an 8-inch casserole dish, smoothing the top.
- Thinly slice the potatoes and layer them, overlapping slightly, on top of the bulgur mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining salt and pepper and the parsley.
- Bake until the mixture is bubbly, about 20 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.