1/1 Photo of Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie
1 hr 30 mins
This tofu version of a shepherd's pie is certainly not very traditional, but this recipe still makes for a hearty meal. This Shepherd's Pie is a casserole combining a tofu saute, mashed potatoes, and mushroom gravy. If you perform the 3 steps concurrently, you will shorten the preparation time. You should start the freeze-thaw tofu procedure the day before you expect to make the casserole. Prep time does not include thawing time for tofu. I like it even better the second day.From the Moosewood Collective.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cake tofu, frozen, thawed, and shredded
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 1.23 ml thyme
- 2.46 ml ground coriander
- 0.25 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 118.29 ml walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 1 lemon, juice of (about 1 Tbsp)
- 14.79-29.58 ml tamari soy sauce, to taste
- 1To freeze-thaw and shred tofu: Freezing tofu gives it a chewy texture which adds textural variety to casseroles. To perform this step, place the cake of tofu on a plate in the freezer, lightly covered with plastic wrap. In a couple hours, the tofu will be solidly frozen. Thaw the tofu for about 24 hours in the fridge. The thawed tofu block will resemble a sponge. Gently squeeze the water out. Then, grate the tofu by hand or in a food processor.
- 2For the tofu layer, saute the chopped onions in the oil with the thyme, coriander, and black pepper until the onions are translucent.
- 3Stir in the chopped walnuts and shredded tofu.
- 4When heated through, stir in lemon juice and soy sauce. Remove from heat.
- 5To make the mashed potatoes, place the cubed potatoes in a saucepan and cover with lightly salted water.
- 6Bring to a boil, and then simmer the potatoes until soft.
- 7Drain, saving the hot potato water to use in the gravy.
- 8Mash the potatoes with the butter and milk. Salt to taste.
- 9For the gravy, heat the oil in a skillet.
- 10Stir in the mushrooms, soy sauce, and black pepper.
- 11Saute, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are tender.
- 12Add 1 1/2 cups of the potato water and bring to a boil.
- 13Slowly stir in the cornstarch mixture and cook at a low boil, continuing to stir, until the gravy is clear and thick.
- 14Oil a 9 inch square casserole dish or use a 10 inch round cast iron skillet.
- 15Layer the tofu mixture, then the mushroom gravy, and then the mashed potatoes.
- 16Dot the top with butter or margarine.
- 17Bake at 400°F for 15-20 minutes until the top becomes golden.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie
Serving Size: 1 (451 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 493.1
- Calories from Fat 234
- Total Fat 26.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.5 g
- Cholesterol 18.1 mg
- Sodium 754.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.3 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 16.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: