Recipe by Irish Fraulein
This is great simple recipe I found online. It is great for clearing out your fridge. I saute any misc veggies I have laying around such as mushrooms and spinach and add them to the mix. These can also be put into casings and refrigerated. The colder the rice the easier it will be coat in bread crumbs. I can't say how long because they never lasted longer than a day or so. The patties can be stuffed in pita bread or eaten like a sandwich.
- 1 small onion, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 2 cups rice (cooked and cold)
- 1 cup kidney bean (cooked)
- 1⁄4 cup egg substitute or 1 -2 egg
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large nonstick frying pan, saute the onions in 1 tablespoons of the oil until clear. Add the cheese and garlic. Saute until garlic is clear.
- In a large bowl combine rice, beans, egg substitute, thyme, oregano, cilantro and sage. Stir in the onion mixture.
- Transfer to food processor. Process until mixture is a solid mass, but NOT pureed. Just a few seconds.
- Divide into 8 parts. Form each part into a sausage shape. Roll in the bread crumbs.
- Coat a baking sheet with non-stick spray. Set the sausages on the sheet and brush with remaining oil. Broil until mottled brown on all sides, about 5 minutes.