Prep 10 mins
Cook 14 mins
This is a tasty vegetarian dish. You won't even miss the meat! You can substitute any type of Southwestern-style dressing for the 1000 Island. I slice avocado to serve around the plate. This dish can make a very nice presentation. *The cheese can be left out and a vegan dressing can be used and it will still be delicious!
- 3 flour tortillas
- 3⁄4 cup long grain white rice, uncooked
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 -2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 5 cups lettuce, shredded
- 1 cup chopped tomato (1 large)
- 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped (1 small)
- 1⁄4 cup thousand island dressing
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 4 pitted olives, sliced (optional)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut tortillas into 12 wedges or strips. Place on ungreased cookie sheet or baking pan.
- Bake uncovered 6 to 8 minutes, moving them around at least once, until golden brown. Set aside to cool.
- Bring to a boil: rice, water, chili powder, salt, garlic powder, and crushed red pepper. Once it boils cover, reduce heat, and simmer for about 14 minutes. Remove from heat. Fluff rice with a fork. Cover and let steam 5 minutes. Stir in kidney beans.
- Mix lettuce, tomato, cheese, and onion in a large bowl. Add dressing; toss. Divide lettuce mixture among 4 plates. Top each with about 1/2 cup rice mixture. Arrange tortilla wedges around salad. Garnish with sour cream and olives.