Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
The rice crust is gluten free and healthy. I found a recipe about 20 years ago similar to my recipe, however, I have modified it in order to have it workable and with a nice taste. If desired, you can change the filling to a good old fashioned Italian Style filling.
- 2 cups long grain white rice or 2 cups brown rice, uncooked
- 4 cups water or 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄16 teaspoon Tabasco sauce or 1⁄16 teaspoon red hot sauce
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1⁄2 cups grated mozzarella cheese, , divided
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 medium fresh tomatoes, , sliced
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- RICE CRUST-----------------.
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees.
- In a medium size saucepan, add rice and water or broth.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.
- Fluff rice with a fork and set aside to cool slightly.
- In a mixing bowl, combine cooked rice, beaten egg, mozzarella cheese and Tabasco sauce and mix well.
- Press mixture evenly into a lightly greased 12 inch pizza pan, covering bottom and sides.
- Bake in preheated 400 F oven for 4 minutes or until set.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly before adding filling.
- VEGETARIAN FILLING------------.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together tomato sauce, garlic, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, oregano, basil, Italian herb seasoning and black pepper.
- Spread sauce mixture over the bottom of the rice crust.
- Sprinkle over with 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese.
- Arrange sliced mushrooms, green peppers, red peppers, sliced tomatoes, and sliced red onion in layers.
- Sprinkle remaining 1 cup of remaining mozzarella cheese over top.
- Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Bake in preheated 400 F oven for 15 minutes or until cheese bubbles.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- You can also use chopped fresh broccoli as another vegetable.
I had a recipe cloe to this back in the 80"s and lost it. Great to have a rice pizza again, evryone loved it and I never could quite make it right from memory until I saw this recipe posted.
WOW So different, TRUE! HAS to be good if it is an Uncle Bill recipe too! LOVE is healthy, low fat for me! Thanks for sharing this unique recipe!