1/1 Photo of Vegetarian - Rice Crust Pizza
William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin's Note:
The rice crust is gluten free and healthy. I found a recipe about 20 years ago similar to my recipe, however, I have modified it in order to have it workable and with a nice taste. If desired, you can change the filling to a good old fashioned Italian Style filling.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups long grain white rice or 2 cups brown rice, uncooked
- 4 cups water or 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/16 teaspoon Tabasco sauce or 1/16 teaspoon red hot sauce
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups grated mozzarella cheese, , divided
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 medium fresh tomato, , sliced
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1RICE CRUST-----------------.
- 2Preheat oven to 400 F degrees.
- 3In a medium size saucepan, add rice and water or broth.
- 4Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.
- 5Fluff rice with a fork and set aside to cool slightly.
- 6In a mixing bowl, combine cooked rice, beaten egg, mozzarella cheese and Tabasco sauce and mix well.
- 7Press mixture evenly into a lightly greased 12 inch pizza pan, covering bottom and sides.
- 8Bake in preheated 400 F oven for 4 minutes or until set.
- 9Remove from oven and let cool slightly before adding filling.
- 10VEGETARIAN FILLING------------.
- 11In a mixing bowl, stir together tomato sauce, garlic, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, oregano, basil, Italian herb seasoning and black pepper.
- 12Spread sauce mixture over the bottom of the rice crust.
- 13Sprinkle over with 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese.
- 14Arrange sliced mushrooms, green peppers, red peppers, sliced tomatoes, and sliced red onion in layers.
- 15Sprinkle remaining 1 cup of remaining mozzarella cheese over top.
- 16Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- 17Bake in preheated 400 F oven for 15 minutes or until cheese bubbles.
- 18Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- 19You can also use chopped fresh broccoli as another vegetable.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian - Rice Crust Pizza
Serving Size: 1 (301 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 455.4
- Calories from Fat 145
- Total Fat 16.2 g
- Saturated Fat 8.0 g
- Cholesterol 75.2 mg
- Sodium 482.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 19.3 g