Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Another great vegetarian dish or serve with meat or seafood
- 1 cup rice (cooked, keep warm)
- 5 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 1 1⁄2 cups squash (diced)
- 1⁄2 cup onion (diced)
- 1⁄3 cup celery (diced)
- 1 teaspoon garlic (minced)
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 540 ml red kidney beans (rinsed & drained)
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 cup pumpkin seeds (toasted)
- 3 tablespoons parsley
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- 1 teaspoon chipotle pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Saute in a pan with 1 tablespoon of oil the squash with salt and pepper till tender and golden brown about 5 minutes, remove and keep warm.
- Add another tablespoon of oil to pan and saute onions, celery, garlic till softened.
- Add paste, beans and stock and simmer till stock has been absorbed along with salt and pepper.
- In food processor combine 3 tablespoons of oil, pumpkin seeds, parsley, cilantro, chipotle pepper, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste and pulse till coarsley chopped.
- In bowls divide rice, then bean mixture then squash and then the pesto on top.
- Top with a sprig of cilantro.