Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Another great vegetarian dish or serve with meat or seafood
Make and share this Vegetarian Rice, Beans, Squash With Pumpkin Seed Pesto recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup rice (cooked, keep warm)
- 5 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 1 1⁄2 cups squash (diced)
- 1⁄2 cup onion (diced)
- 1⁄3 cup celery (diced)
- 1 teaspoon garlic (minced)
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 540 ml red kidney beans (rinsed & drained)
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 cup pumpkin seeds (toasted)
- 3 tablespoons parsley
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- 1 teaspoon chipotle pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Saute in a pan with 1 tablespoon of oil the squash with salt and pepper till tender and golden brown about 5 minutes, remove and keep warm.
- Add another tablespoon of oil to pan and saute onions, celery, garlic till softened.
- Add paste, beans and stock and simmer till stock has been absorbed along with salt and pepper.
- In food processor combine 3 tablespoons of oil, pumpkin seeds, parsley, cilantro, chipotle pepper, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste and pulse till coarsley chopped.
- In bowls divide rice, then bean mixture then squash and then the pesto on top.
- Top with a sprig of cilantro.