Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a variation of a grain "burger" recipe from a 1974 vegetarian cookbook, called "The Forget-About-Meat" Cookbook by Karen Brooks.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1⁄2 cup diced green pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 cups cooked long-grain rice or 2 1⁄2 cups brown rice
- 1⁄3 cup wheat germ
- 1⁄3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄3 cup quick oats
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce (or to taste)
- 2 -4 tablespoons additional olive oil, as needed
- Saute the 3 vegetables in the 3 Tbs. of olive oil, in a large skillet, until tender but not mushy (should have some "crunch").
- Add the cooked rice to the vegetables and blend together.
- Add the wheat germ, corn meal & oats, stirring together after each addition.
- Cook together for about 5 minutes.
- Add the soy sauce & the additional olive oil so that this is not too dry (but not overly oily either).
- Heat through and serve while hot.